Day One - Drink More Water
I know, I know, it sounds SO simple. But did you know that your body is approximately 60% water and that we are constantly losing water through our urine and our sweat? When we are going into the holidays filled with goodies and treats there also some other good reasons to drink more water!
1. It helps with will-power. It is more common than you would think to mistake thirst for hunger. When we are thirsty our body sends out signals to our brains that it needs something. More often than not, that signal for hydration gets mixed up with cravings. When we crave something it is rarely kale, or broccoli! If we are sipping our water throughout the day there’s a very good chance we won’t have as many cravings!
2. Water helps speed up your metabolism. There are a couple studies that state that drinking water (2L/day recommended) can temporarily boost your metabolism! Drinking this water can increase the amount you burn by around 100 calories!! I don’t know about you but that seems easier than going for a run around the block!
3. There are other studies that claim mild dehydration may affect aspects of brain function. Things like mood and concentration can be affected and dehydration can bring on headaches as well. Drinking water can keep us sharp over the holidays so you can be the life of the party!! It is also a great help with the hangovers during the holidays AFTER you’ve been the life of the party!!
4. Drinking water about a half hour before a meal can also reduce the amount you eat at that meal. I don’t recommend chugging water WHILE you eat or right before you eat as this can dilute your stomach acid and make digestion harder for your body. But making sure you are well hydrated before the meal can cut the amount you eat at that meal!
5. Drinking water helps you maintain all the fluids in your body. Drinking enough water helps to maintain your body’s fluid balance, which helps transport nutrients in the body, regulate body temperature, digest food, and more.
So, for these simple reasons, and for a plethora of more I don’t have time to add, drink your water often to help keep you your healthiest self during the Holidays AND the New Year too!!